Great news! NDCN is now more centrally located and easily accessible on Main Street, Bangor. We are located right next to the Flagship Centre (facing B&M) and everyone is welcome to pop in to hear more about what we do.
We organise and coordinate a range of FREE activities, that take place on a weekly basis from Monday to Friday. Please feel free to call by and join our FREE activities:
- Walking Group
- Sewing Corner
- Wise the BAP! Art Class
- The Shed
- Creative Writing
- 1-to-1 Laptop and Tablet Tutoring (Booking essential)
- The Hub Choir
- Armed Forces Veterans Coffee Mornings
- Community Cafe
- …….. Plus many more!
Funding to establish the North Down Community Network (NDCN) as a focal point for the community and voluntary sector in North Down was secured in 1999 from Peace I, through the then North Down Partnership. The setting up of NDCN was crucial in fulfilling the recognised gap in the community/voluntary sector infrastructure of North Down.
NDCN became a limited company and a registered charity in 2003 – our new NI Charity Registration Number is NIC 102333. Our registered office address is 5 Castle Park Road, Bangor, County Down, in our own Resource Centre (in the grounds of the South Eastern Regional College); and we also have our Community Hub in Bangor’s Flagship
Our main funders currently are: the Department for Communities; the Big Lottery, DICE Youth Project; the Public Health Agency; North Down Borough Council multi-annual grant; and the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.
NDCN engages in a range of projects including the following:
- Community Development – developing structures at a local level to empower groups to initiate solutions.
- Capacity Building / Skills Training – assisting local groups to increase their skills and develop strong, confident communities through community-based learning.
- Health Promotion – working with the Public Health Agency through the Community Development and Health Worker by providing a series of programmes for local communities aimed at improving health and emotional wellbeing.
- Support TSN Areas – supporting the growth and development of groups in areas of weak infrastructure, through the DSD Community Investment Fund programme, by information sharing, administration, good governance, training and practical assistance.
- Equality and Good Relations – developing joint initiatives between communities, to explore prejudices, tolerances and understanding of their own and other cultures through various programmes.
- Networking / Good Practice – bringing local communities together and providing opportunities to network, build working relationships, share good practice and provide information on relevant topics to the community, voluntary and statutory sectors.
- Community Arts Projects – developing community arts projects with individuals and local communities to explore and highlight local issues; cultivate talents and skills; and build personal self esteem and confident communities.
- Resource Services – providing access to administrative support; disseminating information via NDCN’s ezines, website, Facebook, annual Network News and Twitter; production of community newssheets; signposting; funding information; use of equipment; and meeting rooms available in NDCN’s Resource Centre.
- Social Economy – encouraging local entrepreneurship to solve community problems or issues; and provide employment and volunteering opportunities alongside community services.